Sunday 20 July 2008

So far and yet so close

Not a huge day in terms of allotment action . . . . but a lot of behind the scenes things are taking place. Sheds are being evaluated, plants are being purchased, plans are being drawn up. But still, would have been good to see more actual planting take place this weekend. Ah well.

I stopped by today solo (after the abortive attempts yesterday), and with great trepidation saw that our mystery neighbor at number 19 was in residence. I saw her talking at the fence to the neighbors on the other side and was just waffling about, trying to decide how to broach the subject of the fact that our allotment entrance is in the middle of her garden (since they were originally one) when she turned around . . . . and said, with surprise, "Why hello Susanne!" Yes, our mystery neighbor is, in fact, my real-life neighbor Yvonne, a lovely woman who lives diagonally across my street. Small allotment world!

A real relief, actually, as she is such a wonderful person, and an old friend, so it takes some of the new allotment nerves away. She was more than happy to have us share the pathway in her space, which is very kind, and I imagine we will have many cups of tea over the next few years.

Actually all the allotment owners seem kind and helpful - Sean with his dreamy garden, the nice couple at 24 who helped me break into my own car yesterday, and the couple at 18, who showed me the 5 year efforts and told me how they have barbeques and drink wine at the end of their plot, which sounds to me a lot more like what we had in mind. Here's to those salad days, may they be quick in approaching.

No comments:

Allotment Follies

Hello one and all. This is a simple accounting of what happens when 3 over-achieving London ladies decide to try a bit of The Good Life. All comments, advice, encouragement welcome!

View from the far side

View from the far side